Join the RAO Now.
Frequently Asked Questions
Thinking of Moving Here?
Be Heard! Your RAO Voice
Olongapo/Subic Information
US/Phils. Government Sites
Emergency Phone Numbers
Helpful Links
  Thinking of Moving Here? > Resident Visas
Thinking of Moving Here

Resident Visas


It is advisable to obtain your visas prior to departure from the States. It's much cheaper and easier.

For example, if your wife is a Philippine citizen, a resident visa in the USA costs about $100; here it's $400. If your minor children were born of a Filipina mother who is still a Philippine citizen, they have "dual" citizenship. By obtaining formal recognition of this dual citizenship, they can enter the Philippines without a visa - much cheaper in the long run for them than a resident visa. In almost all cases, it's better to make those arrangements before you leave the U.S.

If you are not married to a Filipina and want a resident visa, you will have to get it here with the assistance of a travel agent at a cost of about $2000.

If you are single and coming to the Philippines to live, you will need a 13 (g) visa or permanent visa or "resident visa" many times referred to as an "ACR". An ACR is "Alien Certificate of Registration". These are good for around 10 years. There are two common types of resident visas. A 13 (a) or 13 (g).

A 13 (a) visa is one you get when married to a Filipina and she sponsors you.
A 13 (g) visa is when you are a foreigner coming to live and are single.

This type visa is a Quota visa whereas the 13 (a) is a non-quota visa. These visas vary in price since the quota visa is being purchased and the non-quota is a give me. The price also varies where you get the visas for example, if you get it through Philippine immigrations yourself it much cheaper than going to a travel agent.

Philippine immigrations has a new visa that is plastic much like an ATM card and must be on you personally at all times. This visa makes leaving and returning to the Philippines easier.